[Tails-testers] Tails 3.9rc1

Author: donburden@internode.on.net
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Tails 3.9rc1
Dear reader,

            I upgraded - a little precipitously - and bitterly regret now having
overwritten the earlier 3.8 version.

           The mouse cursor at times freezes and I have to wait for control to
return to the stalled mouse thread. I understand that this is a known issue.

           The option to forbid scripts globally has been shifted away from the
Tor onion in 3.9cl1. I find the system for configuring options via the NoScript
icon to be long winded and cumbersome.

            Moreover settings to control the use of scripts do not permit me to
have the same level of control over the use of scripting that I used to have. I
found for example that I could not turn off the use of scripting on ebay.
(Somehow or other it managed to give itself Trusted site status with no input
from me and the Script option was then not able to be selected in order for it
to be deselected.)

            Perhaps if I worked out how to designate ebay as an untrusted site I
may be able to accomplish what I'm after but the changes I've described
have unnecessarily complicated the configuration of Tor and NoScript and as
a result have effectively undermined the users abillity to easily control how
the software functions within the Tor application.

            It used to be easy to simply click the Tor onion and turn off scripts
globally. Now it is necessary to open the NoScript options settings and set
them for each category of site. A key concern is the question of whether this
needs to be done each time Tails is started or whether the options are stored
between run incarnations. The storage of the options would seem to be
diametrically at odds with the fundamental Amnesiac policy of the Tails
distribution!

            Regards,

                           Don Burden