Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 3.9rc1

Author: intrigeri
To: donburden, Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 3.9rc1
Hi,

donburden@???:
>             I upgraded - a little precipitously - and bitterly
> regret now having overwritten the earlier 3.8 version.

Ouch! Well, anyway, once 3.9 is released, you really should not use
3.8 anymore: it's affected by a number of important security issues
that will become public today.

>            The mouse cursor at times freezes and I have to wait for control to
> return to the stalled mouse thread. I understand that this is a known issue.

I'm not aware of that. Where is that documented as a known issue?
Once 3.9 is out, please upgrade to it and report this bug:
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/bug_reporting/

>            The option to forbid scripts globally has been shifted away from the
> Tor onion in 3.9cl1. I find the system for configuring options via the NoScript
> icon to be long winded and cumbersome.

If you're talking about the security slider, it's under the Tor icon →
Security settings and it works fine on Tails 3.9 final AFAICT.

>             Moreover settings to control the use of scripts do not permit me to
> have the same level of control over the use of scripting that I used to have. I
> found for example that I could not turn off the use of scripting on ebay.
> (Somehow or other it managed to give itself Trusted site status with no input
> from me and the Script option was then not able to be selected in order for it
> to be deselected.)

I'm not sure I understand correctly but a number of problems in this
area will be fixed in Tails 3.9 final. Also, if these problems apply to
NoScript on Firefox outside of Tails, please take them to the
NoScript maintainers.

Also note that customizing NoScript settings this way hurts your
anonymity and is not recommended.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri