[Tails-dev] Arbitrary DNS queries... and Tor 0.2.2.x

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Arbitrary DNS queries... and Tor 0.2.2.x
Hi,

Current devel branch state wrt. arbitrary DNS queries support¹ is:
everything but .onion / .exit is resolved using ttdnsd.

[1] https://tails.boum.org/todo/support_arbitrary_dns_queries/

I implemented this feature this way a few months ago because of Tor
bug #3369; we've had this bug fixed in the Tor 0.2.2.x branch.

Resolving mostly everything using Google DNS servers worries me a bit
as it gives that corporation the power to censor virtually every
Internet resource it want for Tails users.

What we really want instead is: query Tor resolver first, fallback to
ttdnsd if the former fails. This is possible using Tor 0.2.2.x.

I'm usually pretty reluctant to install into Tails software that is
officially marked as experimental by upstream, but in the present
case, I happen to have been running the beta, then the RC for a while,
and have had no problem with it. Well, actually I've found it to be
running a bit more reliably than the current (0.2.1.x) stable branch.
Any differing or concurring experience report from others?

Proposal: install Tor 0.2.2.x RC in the devel branch, meant to prepare
Tails 0.8, and fix that annoying DNS configuration in there (I
prepared last part in commit 849e922 of
feature/support_arbitrary_dns_queries Git branch, built a Tails image
from it, and tested it with Tor 0.2.2 RC. Seems to work nicely.)

What do you think?

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>