Re: [Tails-dev] Arbitrary DNS queries... and Tor 0.2.2.x

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Arbitrary DNS queries... and Tor 0.2.2.x
Hi,

> While I'm not against it in principle, I wonder if this specific
> feature is important enough to break our policy of keeping Tor at
> the latest stable in every release. To me this move seems a bit
> arbitrary; I'd expect most future RCs to contain features of at
> least as much importance, so if we'd be consistent we'd basically
> always ship an RC when available.

If we feel the -rc is as good (or even better) for Tails users than
the -stable is, then I think it shows our policy would be enhanced if
it were changed to "latest stable or RC release, as we think is best
for Tails users at freeze time". I could easily back it off if others
have problems with it, though.

> Or am I missing something? Is the current inability to query non-A
> records breaking something for the average Tails user?

I fully agree the average Tails user uses the WWW, does not care about
the Internet, and thus does not care about non-A records. For ethical
reasons, I'd rather not to see Tails contribute too much in this
trend, and I'd love to see Tails able to perform basic Internet
non-WWW tasks such as resolving MX requests. OTOH, I've been living
with this inability since Tails beginnings, so solving it is for sure
no emergency at all :)

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>