Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter languages

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] tails-greeter languages

Hi,

> From: † <govnototalitarizm@???>
> Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:32:22 -0700

> One of the functions of tails-greeter project is to allow user to choose desired
> language.
>
> There are several approaches to handle different languages:
> 1) is to offer specially maintained list of languages, for example ubiquity (ubuntu
> installer) have list of supported locales in its source code
> 2) another approach is to obtain the list of potentially supported languages from the
> system, for example from /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED or locales of some popular package.
>
> Right now tails-greeter utilize 2nd approach but we'd like to know the community
> opinion on that.
>
> Should we offer user all the languages potentially available in the system, or some
> well-supported languages (e. g. from locales of some package), or only the languages
> maintained and tested by tails developers?

Some arguments... for both approches.

As a user, I imagine I would prefere to have a partially translated UI
than english, and it seems wired not to be able to access nice
translations that are in debian. That would argue for 2).

But on the other hand, some applications Tails ships have separated i18n
packages (I think of openoffice and iceweasel) and as we won't probably
install all of them for image size reasons, it seems resoneable to have
a list of (better) supported languages for which we install these
packages. This seems me to be the current approach (in 0.7.x) and to
argue for 1).

Do others have any nice arguments?

Cheers,

Alan