Re: [Tails-dev] Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple Sili…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails Dev, noisycoil
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple Silicon)
Hi,

NoisyCoil via Tails-dev (2024-01-19):
> The reason why I made this port is first, for fun.

I hope you had tons of fun! (I know I would have had :)

> But then also, to provide a PoC that Tails can already run on Apple Silicon machines and that with some effort from various projects (Tails in providing arm64 mirrors and packages, Tor in finally providing an official arm64 release of the Tor Browser, Debian in packaging the Asahi kernel and Mesa libraries - until the Asahi changes get merged upstream), bringing Tails back to Apple machines, and bringing it for the first time to arm64 hardware, is just around the corner.

Thanks a lot! Such exploratory work is super useful. Not only in terms
of estimating how much it would take to get this ready for production
use, but also because it tells us what's the best we can currently
hope for, in terms of UX, if hypothetically all those blockers
were solved.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri