[Tails-testers] Manual upgrade from virt-manager [was: Insta…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers, claimanalytics
Subject: [Tails-testers] Manual upgrade from virt-manager [was: Installing a Tails USB Image as Virtual USB Storage in Virt-Manager]
Hi Terry,

Terry Gruzebeck:
> OK, so I'm trying to manually upgrade my Tails-3.16 USB image VM installation to
> Tails 4.0 in Virt-Manager (per the "New Version Available" pop-up during system
> startup). Your instructions say:
>
> To do a manual upgrade, you can either:
>
> [...]
>
>   * Upgrade your virtual machine
>     <https://tails.boum.org/install/vm-download/index.en.html>

> I go to the "Upgrade your virtual machine" link, and it has the same
> instructions for setting up and installing a USB image as a new VM on a virtual
> USB device. There are no instructions on how to upgrade the existing
> installation, which, specifically (for the purposes of manually upgrading),
> accounts for how the existing persistence volume is to be preserved whilst
> upgrading the existing Tails (3.16) USB VM.
>
> Bear in mind that Tails running in a Virt-Manager VM cannot access external USB
> sticks plugged into the host system.

You're right, we're missing proper instructions to do a manual upgrade
of a virt-manager installation with a Persistence. I should fix this.
Now tracked with https://redmine.tails.boum.org/code/issues/17187.

I'm not a user a virt-manager myself and I know that some of us do use
it with a Persistence. It would save me quite a lot of time if they gave
me a synopsis of how they do their manual upgrades :)

segfault, intrigeri: How do you do that? Do you start the VM on an ISO
image plugged as a DVD and use it to do the upgrade? Something else?

--
sajolida
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/