[Tails-dev] ***SPAM*** Re: tails-greeter review

Subject: [Tails-dev] ***SPAM*** Re: tails-greeter review
16.08.2011 01:52, intrigeri пишет:

> Then keep the feature, but remove the help text which appears to be
> unecessarily bloating the UI: GDM has no such text I believe => the
> ones who are used to this feature already know how to use it.

Ok, removed in git.

> Indeed, it seems this part of the UI is not built using Glade.
>
> I could only find that in Squeeze's gdm3 source dir:
> $ ls ./gui/simple-greeter/gdm-language-*
> Also rgrep GdmScrollableWidget, may be useful.
>
> Let me tell you it's sligthly irritating to see you looking for that
> UI source code at this time of the GSoC (i.e. after the suggested
> pencils down time), while I've been repeatedly pointing you to this
> piece of software as a source of inspiration for a long time.

As far as I recall we have discussed it before - it was considered lower priority and
postponed for "later on" because a) there's no readily available .glade b) it'll
likely require gtkme changes.
I'm sorry but "later on" is only reached now.

> Great. I'd feel better if this was written somewhere so that it cannot
> be forgotten.

Added to timeline.

> I'm not talking of switching back and forth.
>
> I'm talking of someone who:
>   1. needs to get her GNOME UI in Italian, because she happens to
>      speak that language much better than English
>   2. faces a qwerty (or qwertz, or azerty, or whatever) keyboard (e.g.
>      because she's travelling)
>   3. does not know touch-typing => the keyboard physical and logical
>      layout must match

Got it. Make sense actually. I'll see how it can be done.

> gdm-simple-greeter supports such a usecase in a pretty easy way,
> *without* any need to know about or understand the Alt-Shift geek
> trick.

Hmm.. as far as I remember gdm-simple-greeter always uses 'us' layout only,
regardless of the language choice. Could you point me to particular code\ui part
which works with layout in there?

> I'll look at it. How do we batch-refresh the .pot/.po files?

./setup.py build_i18n

The resulted 'build' directory could be safely removed.

bye,
Max.