Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Rename project?

Author: sajolida
To: The T(A)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Rename project?

El 22/02/11 02:07, intrigeri escribió:
> Hi!
>
> Proposal: rename our project from "The (Amnesic) Incognito Live
> System" to "The Amnesic Incognito Live System". I.e. from T(A)ILS to
> TAILS. This actually was suggested by anonym on IRC.
>
> Deadline: 1 week, i.e. the 1st of March.

Yes ! I've been dying to kick it out since the first time I saw it ;)

> ,----
> | Why?
> `----
>
> 0. The amnesic nature of T(A)ILS seems as important as the incognito
>    one to me. It's indeed what makes T(A)ILS special e.g. compared to
>    the Tor Browser Bundle.
> 1. Lots of people and places, including the Tor website, have already
>    got into the habit of removing the parenthesis. I myself am often
>    too lazy to type these. It would be easier to look for
>    T(A)ILS-related stuff in a search engine if the project was named
>    consistently everywhere.
> 2. Nicer URLs e.g. when subscribing our project to CIA.vc or other
>    services (I've done this recently, more on this soon... when I get
>    the things I wanted to work). This one is a real minor one, sure.

If I'd dare I would even propose to remove the capital letter and just
write Tails, instead of TAILS or T(A)ILS. Other neat projects have gone
this way, say… Tor [1]. This seems to be a further step to typographical
maturity, but sure we can go one thing at a time…

[1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#WhyCalledTor

> ,----
> | How?
> `----
>
> I volunteer to implement the change, i.e. to run not-that-ugly Perl
> one-liners against the website content and our source code to start
> with, and adapt text on other online places accordingly when I run
> into one faulty occurrence.
>
> Some changes, though, such as every developer's Git configuration,
> shall be made by individuals on their own.

I volunteer to help you do that or relieve you from some parts of it.

--
sajolida