Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] About bridges support

Author: anonym
To: The T(A)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] About bridges support
05/02/11 19:23, intrigeri:
> Bug report: when I click the "Ok" button in the custom help popup that
> is displayed on Vidalia startup, the settings window (that -until now-
> was understandably bellow other Vidalia windows, including the help
> popup) is immediately closed.

That's odd since it didn't fail like that on my system (never tried it
in T(A)ILS or Debian, only on Gentoo). Was this in T(A)ILS? Which
version of Vidalia are you building against? 0.2.10 I assume? I believe
we have to look into external stuff like this since we apparently have
inconsistent behaviour between different systems.

Let me quote the patch, namely the modification in the MainWindow (the
"Control panel") constructor, the part where the network settings page
and popup are displayed:

>  NetworkSettings netSettings(_torControl);
>  if (Vidalia::showBridgeConfOnStart() && netSettings.noRealBridges()) {
>    netSettings.setUseBridges(true);
>    netSettings.apply();
>    showConfigDialog(ConfigDialog::Network);
>    if (showBridgeHelp() == VMessageBox::Help)
>      showHelpDialog("bridges");
>  }

I really see no reason why the settings window should be closed, but on
the other hand I'm no Qt expert, and I've never done any C++ before. In
particular I don't know exactly how a window can be killed without doing
it explicitly. I guess it's sensible that a window is be closed if its
parent is destroyed, but I don't think the MainWindow instance is
destroyed unless you terminate Vidalia. Even if you X-click the button
it's merely hidden, as is common among systrayed applications.

I did, however, run into an issue with the settings windows closing
while I was testing my patch. At the time I apparently ran an outdated
Tor, and Vidalia complained about it some 5-10 seconds after starting it
(when it has authenticated and connected etc). When that nagging popup
appeared, all other Vidalia windows, including the settings window,
closed for some reason. Doesn't really seem related, but it demonstrates
the problem from another angle.

I will look into this tomorrow, but any input is welcome.

Cheers!