Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Image size issues

Author: intrigeri
To: The T\(A\)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Image size issues
Hi,

I'm really happy everyone comes up with great suggestions regarding
this images size issue :)

alan@??? wrote (06 Jan 2011 19:59:10 GMT) :

> 23M     /usr/share/inkscape/tutorials
> 1.1M    /usr/share/inkscape/examples

Low hanging fruits => now removed on devel branch.
(config/chroot_local-hooks/98-remove_unwanted_files)

> 5.2M    /usr/lib/openoffice/share/gallery

This one does not exist on Squeeze. Where have these files gone?

BTW, I think such (most welcome!) research would generally be more
useful if it was done on the devel branch, as the Lenny->Squeeze size
increase is probably partially due to such files that are uneeded in
T(A)ILS context.

Related thought: removing baobab (the GNOME graphical disk usage
analyzer) to save space probably wasn't my cleverest idea of these
last days. Well, we are all able to apt-get install baobab, aren't
we :)

> 11M     /usr/share/scribus/translations
> goes down to 1.9M through:
> 44M     /usr/share/gnome/help
> goes down to 19M through:

Am I wrong thinking these ones should actually be done by localepurge?

We can of course quickly achieve good results with a homebrew
localized-documentation cleanup script, but I would prefer a lot
improving the tools we are using... and offloading maintainance to
upstream ;)

OTOH I hope we can support a whole bunch of more languages as soon as
we get a better boot menu, so removing files for not-supported-yet
locales is probably only useful on the short term. If we nevertheless
want to do this, there are other candidates in
/usr/share/vim/vim72/lang/

> Then for 10M extra we could probably get rid of libgweather-common but
> it's a gnome-core dependency through gnome-applets.

We already deinstall gnome-core and some of its new dependencies in
config/chroot_local-hooks/98-remove_unwanted_packages, so gnome-core
is not a blocker at all.

On the other hand, we do use some applets shipped by gnome-applets,
such as the Keyboard layout switcher and Trash ones, so we need this
package to be installed.

Forcibly removing hard dependencies of installed packages (dpkg
--purge --force-depends) cannot be done using the chroot_local-hooks
lever, since live-build (and users!) needs APT to be in a sane state
later on. The only maintainable workaround that comes to my mind would
be to install placeholder (empty) packages named the same way as the
ones we would like to remove, such as libgweather-common. Any better
implementation idea, anyone?

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>