Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Image size issues

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Image size issues

> From: anonym <anonym@???>
> To: "The T(A)ILS public development discussion list" <tails-dev@???>
> Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 07:36:49 -0800
> Enc: unencrypted
> Sig: No signature
>
> 23/12/10 22:11, intrigeri:
>> Hi,
>>
>> building the current devel branch (based on Squeeze) produces images
>> ~738M => too big for a CD.
>>
>> we probably could find clever ways to get this number down.
>> in the meantime I've had a look to the dumb ways :)
>>
>> * without I2P: 693M
>> * replacing openoffice with abiword + gnumeric: 645M
>>
>> what I'd like to avoid is the need to prepare, release and distribute
>> two different images (i.e. light and deluxe).
>
> Agreed. Incognito originally also had a <=50 MB "tiny" version aimed for
> business card-sized CDs, but it was a major hassle to maintain two versions.
>
> If we're already approaching the 700 MB limit, perhaps we should look
> into a lighter DE than Gnome?
>
>> opinions, better ideas are of course welcome.
>
> I have two suggestions:
>
> 1. Let's clear out /var/lib/apt/lists (except the sub-dir called
> "partial", which can be left empty). That's 60 MB in T(A)ILS 0.6.1. That
> makes it annoying to install new software though since one has to
> "apt-get update" before. If we choose to do this, perhaps this directory
> is another candidate for being persistent once that has been implemented?
>
> 2. One thing I cleared in Incognito for additional space was
> /usr/share/doc, which in T(A)ILS 0.6.1 amounts to another 66 MB. One
> possible legal problem with this is that licenses usually reside there,
> and I guess most licenses require them to be shipped with any binary
> distribution. Parhaps we could have a script which re-names them
> appropriately and puts them in a licences subdir? E.g.
> /usr/share/doc/tor/copyright --> /usr/share/doc/licences/tor-copyright, etc.
>
> In total that's a whooping 126 MB, but the licenses are ~8 MB, so if we
> keep them that's still 118 MB, which is still pretty good. I suppose
> that translates to about half when compression is taken into account,
> which should be enough for shipping both I2P and OpenOffice.
>
> Also, there must be several packages of the 900 installed packages
> (that's in 0.6.1) we can clear out...

There's a couple more directories we can probably clean up :

23M     /usr/share/inkscape/tutorials
5.2M    /usr/lib/openoffice/share/gallery
1.1M    /usr/share/inkscape/examples

11M     /usr/share/scribus/translations
goes down to 1.9M through:

ls -1 /usr/share/scribus/translations/ | \
grep -vE '\.(ar|de|en_US|es|fr|it|pt|ru|zh)\.qm' | \
while read line ; do sudo rm -r $line ; done

44M     /usr/share/gnome/help
goes down to 19M through:

find /usr/share/gnome/help -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -type d | \
grep -vE '(C|ar|de|en_US|es|fr|it|pt|ru|zh)$' | \
while read line ; do sudo rm -r $line ; done

Then for 10M extra we could probably get rid of libgweather-common but
it's a gnome-core dependency through gnome-applets.

That could sum up to around 73M.