Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] some problems

Author: anonym
To: The T(A)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] some problems
22/11/10 09:09, tim smy:
> Hello
>
> no reply from anonym despite many emails, -so what to do--hwew iwe
> go

I haven't received anything, but you shouldn't send questions about
T(A)ILS to me only. Use this list directly instead.

> trying amnesia 0.6
>
> get the error message everytime on startup in desktop
>

> "ERROR starting Gnome settings daemon will try to restart next time
> log on

Could you please reproduce this and use the "Report a Bug" feature found
on the desktop? This will provide us with more data. Also include the
following information:

1. Does it happen on every computer you've tried it on?
2. Are there any other problems seemingly related to this error?

> also my isp supports IPV6 so in netstat -a I get
>
> tcp6       0      0 localhost:ipp           [::]:*  LISTEN

I'm not sure what the issue is here. As you can see, ipp is only
listening on localhost, so the printing service is not open for attack
through the network. Any way, initiating ipv6 connections is completely
blocked [1] since Tor doesn't support it.

[1] https://amnesia.boum.org/contribute/design/Tor_enforcement/#index3h1

> also please tell me a simple way to get 0.6 on a usb stick cannot
> find the correct info as k does not exist

At the moment there's no GUI for this, so you'll have to do it through
the command line (what you probably have read in the walkthrough isn't
correct -- that's some leftovers from the Incognito LiveCD).

What you need to figure out is the device for the CD-ROM drive that
T(A)ILS runs from, and the USB drive you want to install it on. Let us
say that they are /dev/cdrom and /dev/sda, respectively. Then you do a

    sudo su
    cat /dev/cdrom > /dev/sda

In fact you may do this from any running linux system using the iso
image file instead of /dev/cdrom, i.e.

    sudo su
    cat /path/to/tails/image.iso > /dev/sda

Warning: be _very_ sure about that you get the usb drive device
(/dev/sda in the example) right, otherwise you might overwrite one of
your harddrives.

Note to other devs: we really should remove the
incorrect/not-yet-implemented parts from the walkthrough.

Cheers!