[lime] Research on security in community networks

Author: Senka Hadzic
To: libremesh
Subject: [lime] Research on security in community networks
Hi everyone,

I recently joined this mailing list upon recommendation from Nico Pace. At
the moment I am doing research on digital security and resilience of
community networks.

The assumption is that users in remote areas and marginalized communities
are not very proactive in installing privacy protection and circumvention
tools on their end-user devices - their devices may not be powerful enough
for extra apps and features, VPNs often make the connection even slower,
many security tools assume 24/7 connectivity, or there is a general lack of
awareness of risks and security simply does not get prioritised.

We are looking at how to implement adequate tools at the infrastructure
side, or within network management tools, so CN operators/implementers
could increase security and privacy.

Many OpenWRT based community networks are using LibreMesh. I would like to
chat about the potential of adding extra layers of security in a tool like
LibreMesh: I am curious to know what is feasible, and what the added value
would be.

Whoever from this community is interested in the topic, please feel free to
respond to this thread, or reach out directly.

All the best,

Senka