Re: [Tails-dev] problem with downloading tails

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] problem with downloading tails
On 19/04/2024 04.02, Dillon Arlo via Tails-dev wrote:
> Hi goats,

Hey!

Note that this is not a support forum, but for Tails development.
However, I will respond any way in hopes of you aiding us on this front.

If what I propose below doesn't work, please use our normal support
channels: https://tails.net/support/

> Just a FYI that there seems to be issues flashing to the drive with BalenaEtcher from windows.
>
> I tried with about 5 different UBS - some of different sizes and make.
> I tried to use different USB slots.
> Then I tried using a different computer.
> Same results always. The flash fails right at the end. The USB installs Tails partially (you can't use the USB anymore) but can't run it.

First of all, let's make sure your Tails image is ok.
tails-amd64-6.1.img should be exactly 1433403392 bytes to start with,
but if the download was corrupted you could probably also experience the
type of issue you reported. So please first verify your Tails .img file:

     https://tails.net/install/download/#verify

We are considering alternatives to BalenaEtcher, so could you please try
USB Imager? Depending on the operating system you want to install Tails
*from*, pick one of these:

* Windows:
https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager/-/raw/binaries/usbimager_1.0.10_wo-i686-win-gdi-phy.zip

* MacOS:
https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager/raw/binaries/usbimager_1.0.10-intel-macosx-cocoa.zip

* Debian/Ubuntu Linux or similar:
https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager/raw/binaries/usbimager_1.0.10_wo-amd64.deb

* Other Linux:
https://gitlab.com/bztsrc/usbimager/raw/binaries/usbimager_1.0.10_wo-x86_64-linux-x11.zip

Please report back here how it went, and which versions of the above you
tested!

Cheers!