Re: [Tails-dev] Paranoid magical

Author: geb
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Paranoid magical
Hi,

intrigeri:
> Hi sajolida,
>
> intrigeri (2024-03-07):
>> I understand you're talking about a Windows setting called Fast
>> Startup (as opposed to the Fast Boot BIOS option that we document
>> already). Correct? For avoidance of doubt, could you perhaps share
>> a screenshot or link to some online doc about the setting you changed?
>>
>> @sajolida, I think this might explain a great number of Wi-Fi problems
>> I see reported by users. AFAICT we don't document this yet. I'll let
>> you judge whether this has a place in the Wi-Fi troubleshooting
>> instructions or similar! :)
>
> Kristian confirmed privately that this is about this setting,
> for which Lenovo has instructions for Windows 8.1, 10, and 11:
>
> https://support.lenovo.com/gt/en/solutions/ht501793-how-to-turn-on-or-off-fast-startup-in-windows-1081

I am not surprised that Windows keeps locks etc on devices when using
fastboot which is somehow similar to hibernation and won't be surprised
if other devices than WiFi have issues. For example, it is impossible to
mount -o rw an (unencrypted) Windows/NTFS partition because Windows keep
a lock on it when using fastboot (through
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_boot_with_Windows#Fast_Startup_and_hibernation
seems to document the inverse behavior)

Therefore, if a note is added in the documentation, it may worth to
generalize it and maybe add it also at least to
https://tails.net/doc/advanced_topics/internal_hard_disk/.

(I was wondering If it won't be possible to get fastboot status using
efivars, ex for whisperback if such reports are common, but did not
manage to find a solution)

geb