[Tails-testers] Tails 6.0rc1 test

Author: iralugh
To: tails-testers
Subject: [Tails-testers] Tails 6.0rc1 test
Hi,
I've been testing 6.0rc1 for a while on an old ThinkPad with 4GB RAM and
old graphic card, internal intel wifi and external old USB wifi and
everythig seems to be working as expected.

The GUI is a bit clunky on this old hardware but not that much.
The whole system is a bit slower but the laptop I used for the tests is
from about 2008 so it's spectacular the system does work anyway.

Taking UX, especially annoying is small default size which Gnome Settings
app opens with since in default size all the categories are listed across
the whole window and on click, it opens the options screen. If I want to
make it behave like in 5.22 I have to manually adjust window size which is
annoying. The rest of the apps can be easily resized with Super+arrow-left
or Super+arrow right, for settings, I had to use Super+arrow-up to avoid
too much mouse clicking or manual window resizing. Obviously, all the apps
run in very small windows but this seems to be an issue upstream.

Also the system eats nearly whole 2 GB before the browser gets started.
With the browser running and one/two tabs open the system consumes from
2.5 to 3 GB.
I guess it should be mentioned that the system requirements have changed
because with only 2 GB you won't be able to browse at all despite the
system itself still working.

I tried many options, external screens, multiple displays in both Join and
Mirror modes and everything works as expected.

I've tried backing up persistence to the 6.0rc1 flash disk from 5.22,
reloaded 6.0rc1 with the 5.22 persistence configs and everything worked as
expected, including all my old dotfiles with configs for multiple apps I
use.

To the included apps:
OnionShare 2 works surprisingly well with the new options, however there
are some issues with it.

1. It doesn't feel like its new Chat or Website options can save generated
onion service config for further use. But this feels to be by design.
2. control buttons of OnionShare (to Copy Address, Show QR Code, Copy
Private Key and Reveal) aren't readable because the app doesn't fully
respect system Dark Mode settings. This should obviously be fixed
upstream.

Onion Circuits still doesn't respect Dark Mode settings (same as in 5.22
and below) and runs in bright gray window with white content and dark
text.

Terminal still doesn't respect Dark Mode settings (same as in 5.22 and
below) and runs in bright gray window with white content and dark text.

I hope this helps at least a bit, despite me sending this mail day before
6.0 release, but at least I tried.

Cheers,
Ira