[Tails-dev] Tails report for December 2023

Author: bokonon
To: tails-dev
CC: tor-project
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails report for December 2023

  Tails report for December 2023 <https://tails.net/news/report_2023_12/>

Happy 2024, Tails-y folks! We wish you a year full of nourishing
energies, forceful resistance, and great health ✊🏽

  Highlights

  *

    2023 was an eventful year at Tails. We kicked off the 1st year of
    our 3-year strategic plan with 16 releases of Tails, significant
    improvements to core Tails features like the new Persistent Storage,
    and researched cool, new features we want to bring to you. In
    parallel, we started moving into a new home <https://tails.net/> and
    made investments to become a more sustainable project and a
    healthier workplace. Read more about 2023 at Tails here
    <https://tails.net/news/achievements_in_2023/index.en.html>. If
    you'd rather listen, check out our presentation
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtgTwho1wfQ&t=784s> at State of the
    Onion 2023!

  *

    We are raising funds for our work in 2024 but our annual fundraising
    campaign has fallen short of our goal. So, we've extended our
    fundraiser till January 20, 2024. If you find our work useful and
    can contribute, we'd appreciate your help. Every contribution, no
    matter the size, makes a big difference. Donate now!
    <https://tails.net/donate/>

  *

    Talking about contributions that make a difference, we remain ever
    so grateful to our sponsors! Last month, wordsolver.co
    <https://wordsolver.co/> renewed their sponsorship of Tails. This is
    the 3rd year of their support for Tails' mission! Thank you 💜

  Releases

We released Tails 5.21
<https://tails.net/news/version_5.21/index.en.html>. In 5.21:

  *

    /Tor client/ and /Tor Browser/ are up-to-date

  *

    we improved Tails's handling of date and time: you'll find localised
    dates in the top navigation, and separately, we replaced the
    unpunctual web servers in our htpdate pool

  *

    the backup feature of /Tails Cloner/ is friendlier to use. Thanks
    @BenWestgate <https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/BenWestgate>!

And lots more
<https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/blob/master/debian/changelog>.

  Metrics

Tails was started more than 815,559 times this month. That's a daily
average of over 26,300 boots.

--
bokonon

Fundraising Director