Re: [Tails-dev] xfce, second option graphic interface in tai…

Author: David A. Wheeler
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] xfce, second option graphic interface in tails?

> On Feb 1, 2023, at 5:08 AM, sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>
> 4qu1n4t1s@???:
>> Hello developers
>> I would suggest that the group of developers add the possibility of
>> using the xfce graphical interface to allow people who do not have good
>> computers to have access to this technology that tails provides...
>> The gnome and very heavy and very computational processing demand,
>> people with weaker computers can not get access to the tails with gnome,
>> xfce would be a great second option.
>
> See https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#gnome

Has anyone investigated the GNOME configuration to reduce its
default memory & CPU requirements? Or Tails in general?
That might be a workable alternative.
I suspect even people with stronger computers would appreciate
snappier response & more resources for "actual work". If it
involves removing extensions or other services by default,
that's less running code to worry about.

I haven't checked anything out in Tails specifically,
but there are various guides that might be useful:
* https://linuxhint.com/memory_optimize_gnome/
* https://askubuntu.com/questions/1266498/gnome-shell-is-taking-a-lot-of-ram

Here's a 2022 comparison of the overheads of different desktops:
https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2022/07/12/desktop-environments-resource-usage-comparison/
GNOME certainly uses more than XFCE, but not *insanely* so
(1548 MB vs. 2622 MB in their test case). The bigger problem speed wise is
if hardware acceleration isn't available; GNOME Shell expects 3D hardware acceleration.
If there's no 3D hardware acceleration, using a fallback is the usual recommendation.

--- David A. Wheeler