Re: [Tails-l10n] translation errors

Author: emma peel
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] translation errors
boyska:
> zen fu:
>> Sorry if this should be clear, but I wonder:
>>
>>      - How/where can one see such errors and try to fix them?
>
> Hi zen! It's actually a great question. First of all: I hope that Weblate is already helping you, but I don't know if that's the case.
>
> If it isn't, I think that the simplest way to get this information is:
>
>  - look at the pipeline for the stable branch: https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/pipelines?page=1&scope=all&ref=stable
>
>  - look at the latest one
>
>  - Inspect the lint-latest-po test: https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/jobs/63915
>
>  - this will give you all errors from i18nspector. Unfortunately it doesn't give you line numbers, which are very useful, and which are visible in other ways. As an example,you could get the errors for hungarian running  msgfmt --check -o config/chroot_local-includes/usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/tails.mo po/hr.po
>
> If translators find it useful to have this sort of info, it's not too much of a problem to have the appropriate tests running automatically.
>

>>      - Whose responsibility is it to fix them? (in case that's defined)
>
> I don't know if that's defined. However, to properly fix them some knowledge of the specific language is required, so I believe that's the responsibility of translators.
>
> The only thing that someone not speaking that language can do is to delete failing strings (which is what I do during release).

This is the kind of things I used to do but I am not doing much lately. You can fix some problems even if you dont speak the language, for example the problems with the python brace format.

In hosted weblate you can see some of the failing checks, the most important:

xml syntax: https://hosted.weblate.org/checks/xml-invalid/tor/tails-gui/

python brace format https://hosted.weblate.org/checks/python_brace_format/tor/tails-gui/

all of them:

https://hosted.weblate.org/checks/?project=tor&component=tails-gui