[Tails-testers] [Tails News] Tails 5.1 is out

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [Tails-testers] [Tails News] Tails 5.1 is out
# [Tails 5.1 is out](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_5.1/index.en.html)

This release fixes the security vulnerability in the JavaScript engine of
_Firefox_ and _Tor Browser_ announced on [May
24](https://tails.boum.org/security/prototype_pollution/index.en.html).

This release was delayed from May 31 to June 5 because of a delay in the
release of _Tor Browser_ [11.0.14](https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-
tor-browser-11014/).

# Changes and updates

## Tor Connection assistant

Tails 5.1 includes many improvements to the Tor Connection assistant:

* The _Tor Connection_ assistant now automatically fixes the computer clock if you choose to connect to Tor automatically.

This makes is much easier for people in Asia to circumvent censorship.

Tails learns the current time by connecting to the captive portal detection
service of [Fedora](https://getfedora.org/), which is used by most Linux
distributions. This connection does not go through the Tor network and is an
exception to our policy of only making Internet connections through the Tor
network.

You can learn more about our security assessment of this time synchronization
in our [design documentation about non-Tor
traffic](https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/Tor_enforcement/#non-tor-
traffic).

* The time displayed in the top navigation uses the time zone selected when fixing the clock in the _Tor Connection_ assistant.

In the future, we will make it possible to change the displayed time zone for
everybody from the desktop
([#10819](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/10819)) and store
it in the Persistent Storage
([#12094](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/12094)).

* The last screen of the _Tor Connection_ assistant makes it clear whether you are connected using Tor bridges or not.

![Connected to Tor successfully with
bridges](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_5.1/bridges.png)

## _Unsafe Browser_ and captive portals

* We wrote a new homepage for the _Unsafe Browser_ when you are not connected to the Tor network yet. This new version makes it easier to understand how to sign in to the network using a captive portal.

![Example of captive portal: Free Wi-Fi
hotspot](https://tails.boum.org/doc/anonymous_internet/unsafe_browser/captive_portal.svg)

* Tails now asks for confirmation before restarting when the _Unsafe Browser_ was not enabled in the Welcome Screen. This prevents losing work too easily.

![](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_5.1/confirmation.png)

## Kleopatra

* Associate OpenPGP files with _Kleopatra_ in the _Files_ browser.

You can now double-click on `.gpg` files to decrypt them.

* Add _Kleopatra_ to the Favorites applications.

![](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_5.1/favorites.png)

## Included software

* Update _tor_ to 0.4.7.7.

* Update _Tor Browser_ to [11.0.14](https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-11014/).

* Update _Thunderbird_ to [91.9](https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/91.9.0/releasenotes/).

* Update the _Linux_ kernel to 5.10.113. This should improve the support for newer hardware: graphics, Wi-Fi, and so on.

# Fixed problems

* Remove the automatic selection of the option **Configure a bridge** when rolling back from the option to hide that you are connecting to Tor. ([#18546](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18546))

* Give the same instructions on both screens where you have to configure a bridge. ([#18596](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18596))

* Help rename the default _KeePassXC_ database to open it automatically in the future. ([#18966](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18966))

* Fix sharing files using _OnionShare_ from the _Files_ browser. ([#18990](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18990))

![Share via
OnionShare](https://tails.boum.org/news/version_5.1/onionshare.png)

* Disable search providers in the Activities overview: files, calculator, and terminal. ([#18952](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/issues/18952))

For more details, read our
[changelog](https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/blob/master/debian/changelog).

# Known issues

None specific to this release.

See the list of [long-standing
issues](https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/index.en.html).

# Get Tails 5.1

## To upgrade your Tails USB stick and keep your persistent storage

* Automatic upgrades are available from Tails 5.0.

You can [reduce the size of the
download](https://tails.boum.org/doc/upgrade/index.en.html#reduce) of future
automatic upgrades by doing a manual upgrade to the latest version.

* If you cannot do an automatic upgrade or if Tails fails to start after an automatic upgrade, please try to do a [manual upgrade](https://tails.boum.org/doc/upgrade/index.en.html#manual).

## To install Tails on a new USB stick

Follow our installation instructions:

* [Install from Windows](https://tails.boum.org/install/windows/index.en.html)
* [Install from macOS](https://tails.boum.org/install/mac/index.en.html)
* [Install from Linux](https://tails.boum.org/install/linux/index.en.html)
* [Install from Debian or Ubuntu using the command line and GnuPG](https://tails.boum.org/install/expert/index.en.html)

The Persistent Storage on the USB stick will be lost if you install instead of
upgrading.

## To download only

If you don't need installation or upgrade instructions, you can download Tails
5.1 directly:

* [For USB sticks (USB image)](https://tails.boum.org/install/download/index.en.html)
* [For DVDs and virtual machines (ISO image)](https://tails.boum.org/install/download-iso/index.en.html)

# What's coming up?