[Tails-dev] We'll try to release Tails 5.0 (Bullseye) on May…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] We'll try to release Tails 5.0 (Bullseye) on May 3
Hi,

boyska and I just went through the list of 5.0 issues to classify
them as blockers/non-blockers:

https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/tails/-/boards/4?label_name[]=Core%20Work%3AFoundations%20Team&milestone_title=Tails_5.0

We believe there's a good chance we manage to fix next week the
blockers we've identified, and thus release 5.0 on May 3 (instead of
4.30 + 5.0~rc1).

There are 2 issues we're not sure about though. We're going to ask UX
(sajolida)'s input about them.

We're using these label semantics on that board:

- P:Elevated → it's a blocker for 5.0
- P:High → it's a blocker for 5.0~rc1

We've been classifying issues as non-blockers quite "aggressively",
because:

- Releasing 5.0 early avoids the need for another double-release,
which frees 12-15h of FT capacity that we'll be able to spend
elsewhere (e.g. 5.0 known issues, sponsor deliverables).

- Even if they are regressions, they are not necessarily worse than
dozens (if not hundreds) of other bugs we've been carrying for
years. Even though of course, in some way, a bug one existing users
are used to dealing with have a different standing than a new one.

And there's another thing, that we did not discuss on the team: we're
getting so little feedback about 5.0~beta1 that I don't think another
beta or RC will give us significantly more actionable data to
work with.

Cheers!