Re: [Tails-testers] 4.20 rc1

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] 4.20 rc1
Frederick:
>>> In my opinion, the new Tails Connection Dialog comes at significant cost to user experience. I fully understand the importance of guiding new users through the connection process (and options), but after half a dozen Tails boots, the dialog becomes as much a hindrance as a help.
>>>
>>> A good compromise could be to initially present the current connection dialog, with the option of defaulting back to the Greeter's "Network" configuration tool. As Greeter settings can now be "sticky", experienced Tails users could then avoid the connection dialog altogether.

The problem is that "experienced users" != "autoconnect", though I
understand it's your case.

A user interface cannot be optimized for all user profiles at the same
time. Prior to 4.20, Tails was optimized for people who don't experience
network censorship and who don't care about hiding that they are
connecting to Tor. In 4.20, we tried to give a more similar easy of use
to the different profiles.

As often when doing such big changes, it's hard to find the right
balance on the first release. Now that 4.20 is out, I'll be interested
in seeing how much more cumbersome it became for people like you and
adjust if needed.

I feel like it's too early to take decisions on this, we'll gather more
feedback in the coming weeks, and meanwhile refrain from going into
lengthy design discussions here.

--
sajolida
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/