[Tails-project] Tails report for March 2020

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-project
CC: tor-project
Subject: [Tails-project] Tails report for March 2020
Hi,

here is the Tails report for last month:

https://tails.boum.org/news/report_2020_03/

For your convenience, I'm attaching a simplified version of that
web page.

Cheers!

Tails - Tails report for March, 2020

    Releases

    Code

    Documentation and website

    User experience

    Hot topics on our help desk

    Infrastructure

    Funding

    On-going discussions

    Translations

    Metrics

Releases

Tails 4.4 was released on March 12 (bugfix release).
Tails 4.4.1 was released on March 23 (bugfix release).
Tails 4.5~rc1 was released on March 27 (release candidate).
Tails 4.6 is scheduled for May 5.

The following changes were introduced in Tails 4.4:

Tentatively fix Wi-Fi interfaces with Realtek RTL8822BE and RTL8822CE
chipsets. (#17323)

The following changes were introduced in Tails 4.5~rc1:

Secure Boot

Tails 4.5~rc1 should start on computers in UEFI mode and with Secure
Boot enabled.

Code

Secure Boot support was merged (#6560).
Our test suite does not require Sikuli anymore (#15460), which allows running it on recent Debian systems.
We prepared for upgrading po4a (#17005),
which on the long term will lower translators' workfload.

Documentation and website

Replaced Stefano Zacchiroli's key, which was expired, by Chris Lamb's
key in our installation instructions from Debian using the command
line and GnuPG. (#17524)
Agreed on the renaming of some core features:

Persistent Storage (#8948)
Welcome Screen (#15122)

User experience

Did a lot of progress on the design of the new Home and About pages:

Finalized the texts of both pages.
Finalized draft illustrations for both pages.
Did 2 rounds of usability tests: 1 on paper and 1 on screen.
Designed a replacement of our current sidebar to be on top.
Started coding responsive HTML and CSS using CSS Flexbox
Translated both pages in Portuguese, Spanish, French, and German.

You can see our ongoing work on:

https://tails.boum.org/about/staging/home
https://tails.boum.org/about/staging/about
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/explain_tails

Agreed on a new set of favorites application for our Applications
menu. (#16990)
Discussed the security and UX implications of persisting
all settings from the Welcome Screen. (#17136#note-24)

Hot topics on our help desk

Seahorse fails to import PGP public key
Lots of issues with various Nvidia graphics cards, we need to chase down
for details.
A bit of pointing to documentation
Secure Boot — we heard this will soon be solved.

Infrastructure

We kept preparing our upcoming migration to GitLab.

Funding

Analyzed the results of our last donation
campaign.

We raised 81 842 € (+10%) from 2006 donations (-10%).
Sent a full proposal to DRL for our joint proposal with Tor and
the Guardian Project.
Submitted a proposal to the Prototype Fund to fund usability
improvements.
Signed a contract with The ISC Project for our work on the new Home
and About pages and printed outreach material.
Sent a thank you email to people who donated during the last donation
campaign (1283 emails).
Added Domains4Bitcoins to our list of partners.

On-going discussions

What our current changelog is useful for,
and how we could get the same benefits with less manual work:
https://lists.autistici.org/message/20200322.084523.51704520.en.html

Translations

All the website

de: 35% (2283) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy
es: 55% (3557) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
fa: 26% (1715) strings translated, 10% strings fuzzy
fr: 93% (5989) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy
it: 32% (2056) strings translated, 7% strings fuzzy
pt: 24% (1552) strings translated, 8% strings fuzzy

Core pages of the website

de: 64% (1167) strings translated, 16% strings fuzzy
es: 95% (1747) strings translated, 1% strings fuzzy
fa: 34% (620) strings translated, 14% strings fuzzy
fr: 98% (1792) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy
it: 64% (1173) strings translated, 16% strings fuzzy
pt: 45% (823) strings translated, 14% strings fuzzy

Core pages of the website for languages not activated on the website yet

ar: 6% (120) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
ca: 6% (116) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
id: 3% (62) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy
pl: 6% (124) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
ru: 8% (151) strings translated, 3% strings fuzzy
sr_Latn: 2% (41) strings translated, 0% strings fuzzy
tr: 6% (119) strings translated, 2% strings fuzzy
zh: 14% (271) strings translated, 4% strings fuzzy
zh_TW: 33% (609) strings translated, 6% strings fuzzy

Metrics

Tails has been started more than 890 226 times this month. This makes
28 717 boots a day on average.

How do we know this?