[Hackmeeting] Fwd: Hack_Curio, a cabinet of hacker curiositi…

Author: isi
To: hackmeeting
Subject: [Hackmeeting] Fwd: Hack_Curio, a cabinet of hacker curiosities
Hi everyone,

I wanted to pass along information about Hack_Curio a new project that a
group of us from this list just launched:

https://hackcur.io/

The site—conceived of as something like a cabinet of curiosity but
delivered online through videos and short entries—is a portal into
hackerdom. The website features short video clips all related to
hacking, and each clip comes with a dedicated entry written by someone
who has something to say about the video. So far, most of our
contributors are academics, but several journalists have written
entries, and some pieces authored by hackers are in the works.

We are trying to do a few things with the site, but basically, as we
preserve bits and bytes of hacker history, we hope to chip away at some
persistent hacker stereotypes and offer a resource for teaching. Paula
and I gave a talk at the CCC about the project and its rationale, which
you can see here https://media.ccc.de/v/36c3-10875-hack_curio#t=24

So far, we have 42 entries/videos, many more in the pipeline and will
continuepublishing at an accelerated rate through the summer. Once we have
around 80 or so entries, we plan on slowing down and publishing roughly2
to 3 entries a month.

We are currently run as an editorial collective (Paula Bialski and Chris
Kelty are the two other curators/editors) and we will regularly consider
adding new videos. If you have a suggestion, do send us a clip and a
sentence about why you think the video is important, and who you think
should write an entry about it and we will put it in our queue. Just a
bit of a warning, we are slow and only move a bit faster over the summer
when the teaching semester is over.

We are looking for clips that are interesting to watch, can stand on
their own, and are shorter than 5 minutes (and preferably shorter).

We also have a lot of videos not yet on the site, and you can see them here

https://vimeo.com/user78892012

Many of you on this list have already contributed, so thanks, and I am
sure many more of you will as we populate the site with more content. We
hope, even at this rudimentary stage, it's helpful in some way and do
send any feedback, along with video suggestions at the emails below.

All the bestand happy new year!

Gabriella, Paula, and Chris

**

Send suggestions to