Re: [Tails-project] Proposal: our own GitLab instance, sysa…

Author: intrigeri
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] Proposal: our own GitLab instance, sysadmin'ed by immerda.ch
Hi,

moire:
> I don't know how much work it requires to administrate a gitlab instance.

This is a good point. I can't quantify this either at the moment.

I'm told that dealing with spam is the biggest problem. So in my
understanding, how much work it takes depends mostly on how open we
want our GitLab to be — which directly impacts, for example, new
contributors' experience. Therefore, if we're admins on our own
GitLab:

- We get to choose which set of trade-offs we want and can afford.

- We can move this cursor in the future as needed/desired.

And if we pick an option that requires us to do this work, IMO we
should be prepared to iterate on whatever set of trade-offs we'll
initially make: we would be utterly lucky if we got it all perfect on
first try, with no comparable past experience to learn from; I'd
rather not see us count on having this much luck.

If we're not admins, then:

- In some cases, we don't have to do this work, which is nice; unless
we discover later that actually we have to.

- We have less decision making power on this set of trade-offs and
may have to live with decisions we're not entirely happy with.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri