Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings

Author: emma peel
To: Tails localization discussion
New-Topics: [Tails-l10n] More reviewers Re: Include languages with 0 reviewed strings
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Include languages with 0 reviewed strings
intrigeri:
> - Lower the number of languages proposed in the Greeter [sajolida]
>
>    sajolida, if you don't mind, I'll let you handle the fallout of
>    "in order to propose fewer languages, we had to remove some of
>    them; unsurprisingly it makes translators & users of these removed
>    languages unhappy".

     Maybe we can make other languages available without cluttering the interface?
     Like with autocomplete only.

>  - Increase the quality of the translations we ship in Tails
>    [intrigeri]

>  - Don't allow an attacker to trivially include arbitrary strings of
>    their choosing in Tails [intrigeri]

Yes, I think this two points are very important and I fully endorse the move 'better no translation than a booby trap or a backdoor'.
Even active teams sometimes can ship confusing translations because a well intended but inexperienced user has made new translations at last minute. Reviewing is also part of the slow process of creating a common glossary and style.

Also the reviewing makes more likely that a string will be seen by at least two people, helping spot any errors.

Regarding this, I must say, there is another big thing to take into account: There are not enough reviewers in transifex.

I therefore call upon the native speakers of the Tails team to become reviewers, or vouch for new native reviewers for most languages except maybe French and Turkish, in transifex and weblate as well.

emmapeel