Re: [Tails-project] #8948: Reconsider the terminology around…

Author: sajolida
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] #8948: Reconsider the terminology around "persistence"
Curtis Baltimore via Tails-project:>> The german translation team never
found a satisfactory translation for
>> "Persistence/persistent storage/volume". We used 'verschlüsselter
>> beständiger Speicherbereich' (for 'encrypted persistent storage') which
>> is a mouthful. I'm not sure if we can simply use the german noun
>> Persistenz- I have never seen it being used, but apparently it exists
>> (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistenz_(Informatik) though, if I read
>> that correctly, its more used for the ability to store something
>> persistent and not for the storage volume/medium). 'Persistenzspeicher'
>> would be another possibility, which would probably be a bit more
>> understandable. I think using the english noun 'Persistence' in the
>> german translation would lead to a bumpy reading experience and I also
>> think users wouln't understand what it means.
>
> I would not recommend to use the german word "Persistenz". Even if it would be basically correct, it's too sophisticated for daily use. The best idea I got was something like "(verschlüsselter) Dauerspeicher". Not 100% appropriate but close enough. And quite easy to use.

I don't know German so I'll stick to what you and wordreference.com
tells me. Being close to the English word can also be useful.
For example in case people with poor English have to read non-translated
strings sometimes, it would make it easier for them to go from
"Persistenzspeicher" to "Persistence", while still being clearer than
"Persistenz" only as Curtis is pointing out.

--
sajolida
Tails — https://tails.boum.org/