Re: [Tails-project] #8948: Reconsider the terminology around…

Author: Muri Nicanor
To: tails-project
Subject: Re: [Tails-project] #8948: Reconsider the terminology around "persistence"
Hi,

On 11/14/19 7:14 PM, sajolida wrote:
> segfault:
>> sajolida:
>>> [...]
>>> - When working with Simply Secure in August 2018, they had no problem
>>> calling it "Persistence" and told me that it's a common practice to
>>> use capitalized words, even neologisms, to refer to major features.
>>>
>>> In this email, I'm proposing to follow this recommendation and to use
>>> Persistence, a single work with a capital P. See examples below.
>>
>> I'm in favor of calling the feature "Persistence". The only potential
>> problem I see with that is translating it. When it's the name of the
>> feature and capitalized, I feel like it shouldn't be translated. But
>> that could make it harder for non-english speakers to understand the
>> feature.
>
> Right. I'd be interested in hearing the translators' opinion on that.
>
> In Spanish, I would write "la Persistencia", translated and with a
> capital P. But I wonder whether it would be more problematic in German
> for example, which uses capital letters for all common nouns.

The german translation team never found a satisfactory translation for
"Persistence/persistent storage/volume". We used 'verschlüsselter
beständiger Speicherbereich' (for 'encrypted persistent storage') which
is a mouthful. I'm not sure if we can simply use the german noun
Persistenz- I have never seen it being used, but apparently it exists
(https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistenz_(Informatik) though, if I read
that correctly, its more used for the ability to store something
persistent and not for the storage volume/medium). 'Persistenzspeicher'
would be another possibility, which would probably be a bit more
understandable. I think using the english noun 'Persistence' in the
german translation would lead to a bumpy reading experience and I also
think users wouln't understand what it means.

cheers,
muri