Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.0 beta 2

Author: intrigeri
To: Clem Hewison, tails-testers\@boum.org
CC: Mathieu Goessens
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Tails 4.0 beta 2
Hi Clement,

Clem Hewison:
> First off i'm using a Macbook Pro 13-inch 2017.

> I was having problems with Tails 3.16, and your support suggested
> that I try the 4.0 beta. Downloaded and installed through a VM, and
> Mac can see the USB, either through rEFInd or boot menu, same as
> 3.16. But can't get anything to show up - no Tails boot menu, just
> a black screen, same as 3.16.

Thanks for your report. I've heard something similar recently.

First of all, how exactly did you install Tails? In your situation,
the recommended way would be: USB image and Etcher. Some other
installation methods have no chance to work on a Mac.

Then, I'm starting to suspect that Apple's "free" interpretation of
the UEFI standard is playing tricks on us here. I know that some other
Linux distros have hacks and workarounds to better work on Macs. If we
could find one that works for you, then we could compare how they're
doing it with how we are doing it. So it would be immensely helpful
if you could try:

1. Debian 10.1 netinst Mac ISO

https://cdimage.debian.org/images/release/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-mac-10.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso

2. Debian 10.1 netinst standard ISO

https://cdimage.debian.org/images/release/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-10.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso

3. Debian Live testing iso-hybrid

https://get.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/weekly-live-builds/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-testing-amd64-gnome+nonfree.iso

Thanks in advance!

> Just wondered if there will be a fix for this by October 22nd, when
> 4.0 is released? Or any current workarounds for this problem.
> If not, thought it'd be useful for you to know, so hopefully I can
> get it working.

It depends in great part on how much affected folks can help us debug
this problem, since none of our developers have access to
a recent MacBook.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri