Re: [Tails-testers] Testing: My first trial of Tails 3.9~rc1…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails list for early testers, segfault
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Testing: My first trial of Tails 3.9~rc1 using the VeraCrypt Unlocker application
Wes Bunker:
> *_My first trial of Tails 3.9~rc1 for accessing VeraCrypt_**:*

Hi Wes!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to test VeraCrypt in Tails and
reporting about your findings :)

> [...]

>     via the method instructed on tailsboum.org site "Call for testing:
>     3.9~rc1".

>     (iii) Launched successfully the Tails 3.9~rc1 on 32GB memory stick
>     inserted in the HP laptop.  (Then I copied 2GB of unrelated files
>     from a third media into the Persistence folder on that Tails 3.9~rc1.)

>     (iv)  Attached a 5TB Seagate external HDD to the HP computer now
>     running Tails 3.9~rc1 OS.  This 5TB Seagate is configured a
>     VeraCrypt encrypted device, created with a Hidden volume.

>     (v) From the Tails 3.9~rc1 application menu, I launched the "Unlock
>     VeraCrypt Volumes" inside the Utilities category.  This opened an
>     "*Unlock VeraCrypt Volumes*" panel, in which Tails showed it
>     recognized the external HDD VeraCrypt device, seen in the field
>     under "Partitions and Drives" named as "/Basic data partition (5.0
>     TB) on //Seagate BUP SL/" (/my name of the 5TB Seagate drive device/
>     is "/Seagate BUP SL"/). ...I clicked the button there "Unlock".

> [I have tried both the hidden volume password and the external volume
> password, with the same resulting failure to access either form of the
> device's encrypted volume]
>
>     *_Hidden Volume trial access_**
> *
>
>     *(*vi) Another pop up panel opens: "*Set options to unlock the
>     volume*".  Where, into a field, I enter the _hidden volume_'s
>     password.  Left "Remember Password" checkbox and the "Windows System
>     Volume" both unchecked.  Checked the "Hidden Volume" checkbox (when
>     testing accessing using the Hidden Volume password).

>     (vii) Clicked the "Unlock" button

>     (viii) Same panel from (v) above reappeared, now with spinning
>     circle shown.  Then after a few moments an error panel popped up
>     titled:

>     *"Wrong paraphrase or parameters" and the text "Couldn't unlock
>     volume Basic data partition (5.0 TB)"Error unlocking /dev/sdd1:
>     Command-line "cryptsetup tcryptOpen "/dev/sdd1" "tcrypt2097"
>     --veracrypt  'exited with non-zero exit status 2: No device header
>     detected with this passphrase"*

>     *_External Volume trial access_**
> *
>
>     Using the _external password_, I got a slightly different error message:
>
>     Title" "*Error unlocking volume*"  Text: "*Couldn't unlock volume
>     Basic data partition (5.0 TB)"Error unlocking /dev/sdd1:
>     Command-line "cryptsetup tcryptOpen "/dev/sdd1" "tcrypt2097"
>     --veracrypt  'exited with non-zero exit status 5: Device tcrypt-2097
>     already exists"
>     *

>     *_Further third trial access_*
>
> *     *Another trial brought me to error panel text (I've forgotten
> which password I used this trial, the external or the hidden password):
>
>     Title: *"Error Unlocking Volume"      *Text:*"Couldn't unlock volume
>     basic data partition (5.0TB): Error waiting for cleartext object
>     after unlocking /dev/sdd1Timedout waiting for object"  with a"Close"

Hmm... I'm not sure why unlocking your volumes fails. I put segfault in
copy who's the one who implemented this. In the meantime could you give
us more info about your volumes:

- Are you using a PIM number to unlock your volumes from Windows? (Using
a PIM doesn't work in Tails currently.)

- What encryption is used in your volumes? (I think that some encryption
algorithms are not working in Tails currently).

> Any advice to correct me will be welcome if I'm using wrongly the Tails
> 3.9~rc1 application *VeraCrypt unlocker*, otherwise I will watch for the
> next update or news on tailsboum.org
>
> Thanks for your great Tails systems work!

You're welcome :)

--
sajolida