Re: [Tails-testers] veracrypt test

Author: segfault
To: Tails list for early testers, Guy
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] veracrypt test
Hi,

Guy:
> I have just tested the Veracrypt support in tails 3.9 beta.

Thanks.

> At the first try, I was puzzled at the request for a second password. I had not
> used tails before and would have thought that an admin password would not be
> required when in Live boot mode. I RTFM and rebooted with an admin password.

There shouldn't be a prompt for an admin password, I created a ticket
for this issue (https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/15757), but I'm not
able to reproduce it. When exactly were you prompted for the password? I
suppose it was during the unlock process. Was it before or after the few
second wait time?

Can you tell me what kind of volume you were trying to unlock? Below you
write that it's an encrypted partition. Is this on an internal or
external drive? Is there anything that might be special about this volume?

Could you try unlocking the partition via GNOME Disks, and whether this
also prompts for an admin password?

> Both options in the Veracrypt mount utility, mount container and decrypt volume
> did the same thing for me...I have an encrypted partition.

I don't understand what you mean with "Both options in the Veracrypt
mount utility, mount container and decrypt volume". If it's a partition,
you can't attach it as a container. Instead, the partition should be
listed under the "Devices" section. Can you explain what you mean?

> Once I had decrypted the partition and opened the listing in file manager, Tails
> locked up.

Do you mean that the screen was locked? That would be a strange bug.
Could you try to reproduce this and send us a report via the builtin
WhisperBack tool (Applications -> System Tools -> WhisperBack), so that
I can take a look at the logs?

Cheers