Re: [Tails-testers] Feedback VeraCrypt support in Tails

Author: segfault
To: Tails list for early testers, flowa
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Feedback VeraCrypt support in Tails
Hi flowa,

flowa:
> thank you so much for creating this awesome tool! As a regular user, I would like to contribute to this valuable project as a tester. I plan to use Veracrypt to backup the persistent storage to a LAN drive. Here are my results:
>

> + Started Tails from USB drive with beta 3.9 /Veracrypt support
> + Opened File Browser and connected to a network drive (WD MyCloud) via Samba, that hosts a 250 MB Veracrypt container created with Windows Veracrypt
> + Copied Veracrypt container to Tails Desktop
> + Mounted container in Veracrypt Mounter successfully
> + Detached container in Veracrypt Mounter successfully
> + Renamed container file to test.hc → Icon changed
> + Double-clicked icon to mount, successfully
> + Result: Local files with or without extension hc work.
>
> + Started Veracrypt Mounter to mount container directly from network
> - Already established Samba connection is not visible in the Choose File Container Dialog.
> - Also it is not possible to open a Samba connection from the Choose File Container Dialog
> - Renamed extension to hc. double-click leads to error message: „Disk Image Mounter - An error occured – Cannot open smb//192.168.x.x/test/test.hc‘ - maybe the volume isn‘t mounted?“
> - Repeating the steps above for FTP connection instead of Samba leads to same result.
> - Result: I found no possibility to mount Veracrypt container directly from network drive
>
> The ability to open Veracrypt containers from network directly, would be a great improvement. Thank you again for Tails as it is now!

Thank you for your report. I'm glad that you are able to mount your
volume when it is on your local disk. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem
possible to mount volumes on FTP or Samba shares, and we do not plan to
work on this. But I know that it's possible to mount volumes on NFS
shares, if that's of any help.

Cheers!