Re: [Occupyresearch] 5 years later... time to officially bur…

Author: Aaron Kreider
To: occupyresearch
Subject: Re: [Occupyresearch] 5 years later... time to officially bury OccupyResearch
It's probably a good idea to close the list =)

So not really related, but I thought I might as well plug my project -
JusticeMap.org - a high resolution open data map of race and income.
Useful for community organizing and understanding how race and class
permeate every aspect of our society.

http://www.justicemap.org

It has an API and basic GIS tools (ex. compare who lives within 1, 5,
10, 25 miles of a point). Using this I built a Spatial Justice Test to
test a set of points - http://www.justicemap-api.org which is useful for
environmental racism and other things (ex. proximity to good schools or
public transport).

I'm offering free map tile layers. So you can easily include race and
income on your online map with a couple lines of javascript.

My latest map project is estimating household income by block using race
(and the national differences in median household income by race), some
smoothing (incorporating surorunding census tracts), and a custom
algorithm that I wrote. This is typically 80 times more resolution than
using census tracts, though it comes with major assumptions which might
be wrong. But it shows some neat block by block differences, which are
probably true in my neighborhood.
http://www.campusactivism.org/philly/income_block.php

I'm also working on a custom heat map algorithm (and generally free
API/system) so that I can make high resolution heat maps of the impact
of power plants, toxic sites, and possibly oil/gas wells. If anyone
knows how to write fast C++ software or wants to help with the
algorithm, I could use help.

I'd love to hear what others are up to! And especially email me if you
are interested in Census data, GIS, environmental justice, etc.

Aaron