[Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
Hi hi,

> sajolida:
> Personally I've seen more "questioning" than "refining".

Questioning leads to refining, refining leads to the darkside :)

> I'm not considering releasing any code that hasn't gone through
> serious user testing, either on paper or on real users, and with you
> attending the testing sessions.

Requiring Alan's presence, though always welcome, seems antithetical to
having testing instructions[0]. However, jumping in at the bottom of
this[1] message would help me get started.

Also, in addition to being here to help visualize stuff, I can carry out
field testing. I can also help add to and refine the UI Testing
Guidelines document, maybe including something that can help validate
tests and results.

> the current proposal breaks some fundamental assumptions of the work
> that was done at NUMA (displaying everything upfront)

It does, but there is no need for assumptions. The current proposal[2]
addresses all concerns/constraints and is the outcome of weighing the
options logically.

> so to me, we can't validate it only by discussing over email.

I encourage you to rethink this position, since thought experiments can
be useful tools and conserve resources.

> Then, let's also schedule a user testing session.

Let's.

> intrigeri:
> I'm not overly excited at the idea of participating in this
> discussion, but if I'm needed I can probably do it. I would need to be
> pointed to material that sums up the pros/cons that have already been
> thought of.

Awesome. You can do so through this portal[3]. Keep in mind that these
efforts attempt to resolve issues established prior to my jumping in by
weighing the logic and visualizing the options. Also keep in mind that
this is a living document, so please remember to feed it.

I know you are all super busy since I follow *all* of your work on the
various lists and Redmine, so it makes me feel good to know you are
jumping in despite reservations to do otherwise :)

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]: https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/user_interface/testing/
[1]: https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-August/000546.html