Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
New-Topics: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups [with the intended typefaces], [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups [with intended typefaces]
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter mockups
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 01:41:33 -0700
spencerone@??? wrote:
> It is still possible to not have this on the first iteration. The
> thought experiment is necessary to ensure that if we do introduce a
> language auto-detect in subsequent iterations that it doesn't prompt
> another redesign of the greeter.
>
> If we include the language auto-detect in the first iteration, we can:
> • Auto-detect language preference every session, deemphasizing the
> 'Language' section in 'Settings'.

OK

> If we exclude the language auto-detect in the first iteration, we can:
> • Present the greeter dialog every session and reorder the 'Language'
> section below the 'Storage' section once language preference is set,
> somewhat deemphasizing the 'Language' section in 'Settings'.
> • Present the guided configuration step for 'Language' every session
> unless saved, deemphasizing the 'Language' section in 'Settings'.

OK, with a preference for the 2nd

> > - the encryption paraphrase that is only used to decrypt the encrypted
> > partition, if present. It will persist between sessions;
> > - the administrative password, that can be set whether there is an
> > encrypted partition or not, and that will *not* persist between
> > sessions. One can need administrative password (e.g. to install an
> > additional software) without wanting encrypted storage, and one can
> > need a persistence storage without wanting to allow any admin access
> > (more security).
> >
> > Is that clear?
> >

> Mostly. I understand that there is a separation between the persistent
> storage passphrase and the administrative passphrase. Other than as a
> security measure to wake the device from sleep, the value of a
> non-persistent administrative passphrase still eludes me. Though I might
> be unfairly picking on this example, it is unclear to me where software
> would be stored if not on the persistent partition and how a temporary
> password would permit this. Are the installs single session only?

Yes they are, and they are stored in RAM.
> Actually, is the flow:
>
> Host Device Boot Dialog > Tails Boot Dialog > Greeter?
>
> Or does the Greeter replace the Tails Boot Dialog?

Is the "Tails boot dialog" this:
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/index.en.html#index1h1

If yes, then the greeter won't replace it.

Cheers.