Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 1.2

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Release schedule for Tails 1.2
Hi,

anonym wrote (12 Sep 2014 15:18:55 GMT) :
>   2014-09-28   Feature freeze
>   2014-09-29   Tag 1.2-rc1 in Git
>                Build and upload 1.2-rc1 ISO/IUKs
>   2014-09-30   Test 1.2-rc1
>   2014-10-01   Release 1.2-rc1

I've got a few concerns with this schedule:

1. we won't have Firefox ESR31 (Mike Perry told me the TBB team should
have something ready based on ESR31 by the end of next week --
let's assume Oct. 4); given that's the one major change in this
release, it feels a bit weird not to have it in the RC;

2. the other major change (migration to Tor Browser) isn't ready for
prime-time yet, and our track records wrt. fixing stuff in a rush
in between the RC and the final release isn't that good, be it in
terms of quality (in a rush, we sometimes had to merge stuff that
was not as good than what we would usually want to merge) or of
stress level for everyone involved (testers, developers,
reviewers);

3. I won't have time to bring my AppArmor work to completion in time,
and the next major release is scheduled for mid-February. Let's say
this is not a decisive factor in itself, but let's just keep it in
mind, OK? :)

So, I wonder if, maybe, it would be a good idea to postpone the RC
a bit, say:

   2014-10-05   Import the new Tor Browser 4.0-something based on
                Firefox ESR31; adjust what needs to be adjusted (I can
                commit to be available and help with testing,
                identifying issues, review'n'merging)
   2014-10-06   Finish the above, build and upload RC ISO/IUKs
   2014-10-07   Test and release 1.2~rc1 (I can commit to help with
                the test suite and some bits of the release process,
                e.g. translating the changelog into the end-user
                announce)

The main problem with this is that it only leaves 4 days between the
RC is out, and the time anonym builds the final ISO. The main
advantages are that these 4 days can be used to test the actual code
we want to see in 1.2, and that it leaves anonym and I (and maybe Kill
Your TV too) seven more days to complete our work.

Also, IIRC last time there was an ESR major version bump, the TBB team
has been fixing things until the last minute, so I'm not that
confident that the final ISO can actually be built on 2014-10-12 as
planned. If that's postponed by 1-3 days, then the RC testing period
gets a bit longer.

Thoughts?