Re: [Tails-l10n] Adding more Tails resources to Transifex (#…

Author: Runa A. Sandvik
To: intrigeri
CC: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Adding more Tails resources to Transifex (#8953, #8955)
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> Hi Runa & -l10n members,

Hi,

> Runa A. Sandvik wrote (11 Jun 2013 11:32:25 GMT) :
>> The list of resources is pretty long,
>
> I certainly trust your judgement on that one, but I think I personally
> lack information to understand what is the actual drawback thereof.
> I would feel more comfortable if I understood what's the issues are.
>
> Is it:
>
> [ ] Less practical navigation in the Transifex web interface?
> [ ] Tor resources list overwhelmed by tons of tiny Tails resources?
> [ ] Anything else?

I'd say it's the second one, more than anything else. The list would
become incredibly long and translators could easily be overwhelmed.

>> and I wonder if it would make sense to (a) merge files so that we
>> have a few files with lots of strings - instead of lots of files
>> with a few strings,
>
> Data points from my developer's perspective:
>
>   * It would be fairly easy to have all our custom scripts (listed on
>     #8953) share a common textdomain. This way, they would share
>     POT/PO/MO files.

Great!

>   * About .desktop files (#8955): I don't know if there's any
>     practical existing way to extract translatable strings from a set
>     of .desktop files into a POT file, and then build a translated
>     .desktop from per-language PO files. Maybe Transifex itself can do
>     this? Anyone interested in researching this a bit?

Any chance your scripts can share a .desktop file, similar to what you
mentioned above for POT/PO/MO files?

> If .desktop files can't be easily merged into a single resource,
> perhaps getting rid of the multiple resources for scripts (#8953)
> would be good enough?

It would make things better, yes.

> If it may unblock things, I do volunteer to merge the #8953's POT/PO
> files in June or July.

Sounds good to me, thanks!

>> or (b) create a separate Transifex project page for Tails.
>
> We've discussed it recently, and decided against this move. We see
> quite a few drawbacks in moving our stuff out of the Tor Transifex
> project, but (at the time of our discussion), we did not find
> convincing advantages to do so. The pros/cons balance may change once
> we add the resources list lenght to the mix, though.

It might be worth considering (again). You have more resources now and
I'm happy to set up and manage the page for you. It would take some
outreach to tell the world that Tor and Tails now have two separate
translation pages, but I don't think that would cause any major
issues.

--
Runa A. Sandvik