[movimenti.bicocca] The social psychology of protest

Author: tommaso vitale
To: ML movimenti Bicocca
Subject: [movimenti.bicocca] The social psychology of protest

Sign In to gain access to subscriptions and/or My Tools.
  Sign In | My Tools | Contact Us | HELP
Search all journals
Skip to main page content                             HomeOnlineFirstAll IssuesSubscribeRSS  Email Alerts
Search this journal
Advanced Journal Search »
The social psychology of protest
Jacquelien van Stekelenburg
Bert Klandermans
VU University Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jacquelien van Stekelenburg, VU University Amsterdam, Boelelaan 1081c, Amsterdam, 1081 HV, The Netherlands. Email: j.van.stekelenburg@???
Abstract

Social psychological research has taught us a lot about why people protest. This article provides a theoretical and empirical overview. Discussed are grievances, efficacy, identification, emotions and social embeddedness, followed by the most recent approaches, which combine these concepts into dual pathway models. Finally, two future directions are discussed: (1) to shed light on the paradox of persistent participation, and (2) to clarify how perceptions of sociopolitical context affects protest participation.
Collective action emotions grievances identity social psychology of protest

This Article
Published online before print March 15, 2013, doi: 10.1177/0011392113479314
Current Sociology March 15, 2013 0011392113479314
» AbstractFree
ResumenFree
RésuméFree
Full Text
Full Text (PDF)
All Versions of this Article:
OnlineFirst Version of Record - Mar 22, 2013
OnlineFirst Version of Record - Mar 22, 2013
OnlineFirst Version of Record - Mar 15, 2013
What's this?
-Services
Email this article to a colleague
Alert me when this article is cited
Alert me if a correction is posted
Similar articles in this journal
Download to citation manager
Request Permissions
Request Reprints
-Google Scholar
Articles by van Stekelenburg, J.
Articles by Klandermans, B.
-Share

What's this?
Current Issue
March 2013, 61 (2)

Alert me to new issues of Current Sociology
Submit a Manuscript
Free Sample Copy
Email Alerts
RSS feed
+ More about this journal
Other ISA Journals
International Sociology

International Sociological Association

Most Read
Most Cited
Violence and society: Introduction to an emerging field of sociology
The sociological significance of domestic violence: Tensions, paradoxes and implications
The Spectacularization of the Anorexic Subject Position
Family change and the state of family sociology
The violence of order, orders of violence: Between Fanon and Bourdieu
» View all Most Read articles
HOME ALL ISSUES FEEDBACK SUBSCRIBE RSS EMAIL ALERTS HELP
Copyright © 2013 by International Sociological Association
Print ISSN: 0011-3921
Online ISSN: 1461-7064