Re: [Tails-dev] automated tests

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] automated tests
hi,

bertagaz@??? wrote (18 Jun 2012 10:57:53 GMT) :
> It has been pretty easy then to plug cucumber + libvirt + sikuli so
> that it is possible to write tests and have them run against
> a VM display.

This does look awesome!
I can't wait trying this.

So, let's try to clarify what's unclear to me,
in order to find the best way to deploy a testing setup :)

> It requires to use jruby, as sikuli is java. But there might be
> other ways to implement it.

Just curious: is this requirement brought in by the sikuli gem?

> I've pushed my POC in a new branch
> `feature/automated_tests/cucumber` and documented it a bit on the
> wiki :
> https://tails.boum.org/todo/automated_builds_and_tests/cucumber

The following questions refer to this documentation.

> You also need a Jruby >= 1.6 environnement, which sadly isn't
> possible using debian packages yet

Any hint / idea / pointer why?

Also, it's not clear to me what "guest or host" means in there:
- "on the VM guest or host who does the tests"
- "everything happens on the host or guest where the build happen"

Could you please clarify this kind of sentences?

I guess this means "the system", that may be either a bare-metal one,
or itself some kind of VM (with nested virtualization enabled), right?

Also, I'm unsure about "where the build happen". Do you mean "where
the tests are run from", or anything else?

> It is also possible to add and remove different types of storages,
> and thus test persistence or filesystem modifications.

Have you by chance found a way to *emulate* a USB 2.0 device in
software? (qemu-kvm from current Debian testing/sid supports USB 2.0
passthrough, but this is quite different as far as automated tests
are concerned.)

> but anyway you need this gems to be installed

Do you want to {add references to,file} the corresponsding RFP bugs,
or shall I?

> setup a basic VM

Providing a guest XML skeleton would be perfect :)

> Set the DISPLAY env to something relevant

What do you mean? Some unused X display?

Cheers,
--
intrigeri