Re: [Tails-dev] Tests without transparent proxying

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tests without transparent proxying
12/02/2011 10:15 PM, intrigeri:
>> * Since we configured apt to use polipo on port 8118
>
> Was fixed for a while in my tree, but I forgot to push.
> I am sorry for the inconvenience it caused.

While it builds I still get apt-related proxy errors the stage after the
actual iso is created.

> About some of the last few "Torify $X" that were pushed to
> feature/no_transparent_proxy: I'm surprised they are needed, and the
> commit messages don't help me in any way understanding why they
> actually are which worries me slightly (call me a control freak if you
> want, I do like understanding what we put into our Git repository):

Yeah you're right. I'll rewrite the commit messages when I can verify
that no one else is working on that branch.

For the record, all my negative test results (and there was one for each
of these commits) comes from a build made on commit c38466e.

>   - "Torify seahorse": does Seahorse really ignore the global GNOME
>     HTTP proxy settings? Bug report?

When I did the tests the indymedia hidden service were unavailable, so I
tried hkp://keys.gnupg.net, which consistently failed without even
listing a connection in vidalia. Using torify immediately made it work.

Some minutes ago I booted up the same build and noticed that the hidden
service is back up. Somewhat surprisingly, searching and fetching keys
works without using torify. Did I have gremlins in my tubes earlier? No,
it seems. If I switch to keys.gnupg.net I still get the same problems as
I experienced before. Perplexing. I'll investigate this further
tomorrow. Wild guess: it has something to do with .onions getting
remapped by Tor to a virtual address (see the AutomapHosts* and
VirtualAddrNetwork options in torrc).

It's needed, see: http://gobby.0x539.de/trac/ticket/426

> - "Torify HTP" (that actually torifies wget):

Woops...

>     I'm surprised, again,
>     to see wget does not take into account the http_proxy environment
>     variable.

Init scripts are supposed to be self-contained w.r.t. to environment,
and in particular they don't load /etc/environment. Since there are
potentially other reasons for the environment to get lost I feel it's
safer to set the proxy it in wgetrc.

>   - "Torify tails-security-check": I'd rather not use the
>     /usr/bin/torify LD_PRELOAD hacks unless really needed; pushed
>     fcd445c that directly use the Tor SOCKS proxy instead.

Actually before slapping on torify I attempted adding $ua->env_proxy
(which may be considered nicer than hard coding the proxy) but that
didn't work for some reason. I did verify that $ua->proxy('https')
contained the correct proxy address afterwards.

Cheers!