Re: [Tails-dev] Small patch to mute sound on boot time

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Small patch to mute sound on boot time
06/22/2011 03:23 PM, CAN Consulting:
> On 20.06.2011 17:17, intrigeri wrote:
>> Hi JohnDoe,
>>
>> anything new on this front?
>> anything unclear in my last email?
>>
>> Bye,
>
> Building Tails succeeded the first time yesterday; thanking intrigeri
> for help.
> init.d script tails-alsa-mute working; new line in 52-update-rc.d
> seemingly works too.
> Tails iso file created by lb build muted sound channels on bootup;
> attached patch should
> apply on devel branch without errors; besides that, all quiet on the
> western front. ;)

I'm a bit worried that this patch will confuse ("omg! sound is broken in
Tails!") and frustrate ("gah! I have to restore all mixer channels
*again*!") users. At the very least, please to not mute and zero *all*
channels. What's the point of that any way? It will make it completely
impossible for users that doesn't know how to open the mixer, and for
those who do it just adds extra pain. It should be sufficient to either
mute or zero the master channel and leave the rest. Right?