Re: [Tails-dev] integrate walkthrough in doc-rework

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] integrate walkthrough in doc-rework

> From: sajolida <sajolida@???>
> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 07:28:31 -0700

[...]

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for doing that. It's a nice bootstrap for the work to be done
> on the doc.

Happy if it helps.

> I just had a look at the first section « About Tails ». As you already
> mentioned, at the moment in it there is basically:
> - Parts that could be merged into /doc/warning.
> - Other bits that are already addressed by /about. Plus, this secion is
> bit confusing.

Yes, but these page are to precise what is Tails about. They are like
subpages of /about. Perhaps this section could have a better name, through.

> - The first part of the /doc/about/anonymity page which I don't like
> that much. If people reading the doc up to this point still need to know
> « why they need anonymity » we should rather point them to torproject.org.

I agree it is probably not the right place to speak about that, but I
though that we might want to take inspiration from this to put some
words on that somewhere else on the website. But I don't mind if it
disappears.

> - A similar thing goes for the main /doc/introduction. It sounds like
> the usual blabla to my ears and something that's not really worth reading.

I would like to have this /doc section a real Tails documentation, and
for me (some bits of) this intro are important to have at the beginning
of such a document, so I'd rather be in favor of keeping it and
improving it.

> So do we agree on rescuing what needs to be rescued into the /about and
> /doc/warning pages and getting rid of all the rest? It'll remain until
> the end of time in the git history of course in case we feel nostalgic
> at some point ;)

Basically I agree on that plan. Some comments on details, through:

- there is the /doc/about/requirements page that should be handeled. It
might be good to let it in the about section or to put somewhere it in
the section about getting and installing Tails;

- once merged I see this about section as a part of the doc, which could
mean to move it to /doc/about.

Cheers,

Alan