Re: [Tails-dev] [T(A)ILS-dev] doc: verify the iso image

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [T(A)ILS-dev] doc: verify the iso image
Hi,

here are a few quick answers to specific questions, without having
reviewed your work yet.

sajolida wrote (19 May 2011 18:06:42 GMT) :
> 1. I renamed the key with a .key extension see db82870 and am happy with
> that.

once this is merged into master, we'll need to ask the server admins
to add a HTTP redirect from the old name to the new one, and then
we'll remove the old one I think. I hate information duplication.

> Regarding the signature, the extension in /etc/mime.types is should
> be .pgp but GnuPG prefers .sig. Is this a bug worth mentioned for
> the mime-support package?

I indeed read that in mime.types:

     application/pgp-signature            pgp

On the other hand, OpenPGP != GnuPG. This can be considered as a bug
in mime.types if, and only if, this MIME type appeared *after* GnuPG.
I'm not sure of that. GnuPG might have decided to get its own personal
preferences without respecting established standards, who knows.

> By the way, this time I experimented a bit too much with git --amend
> and this commit message has been duplicated in db82870 and 5007f8e.
> I'm sorry about that.

NP :)

> 2. As a consequence of those change I will surely update the GnuPG key page.

> In the instructions on the download page I'm always referring to the
> signing key as « Tails' key ». I started doing that because I
> thought it was shorter and since it is our kind of root key, the one
> signing all the other one, we could call it by this shorter form.
> The other one would be called « Tails mailing list key » or just
> « Tails email key », etc.

> I'm now doubting and might switch everything to « Tails signing
> key » on the download page. Which form would you prefer?

I don't like "Tails' key", that tend to make you think it's the only
one. I prefer "Tails signing key" very much.

> 3. This page is becoming super long. We need to show only the relevant
> parts to someone reading it. I propose splitting all the smaller parts
> into separate pages and linking them from the original.

Agreed.

> On top of that, we could display the instructions on demand on the
> page itself for the people using Javascript. Ubuntu does something
> like this on its download page and I confess like it:

>     http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Why not, as long as it gracefully degrades, but I know you would not
proposing something that would not :) The "toggle" ikiwiki plugin
might be what you need to implement it.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>