[T(A)ILS-dev] Connection to public hotspot

Author: San Bergmans
To: tails-dev
Subject: [T(A)ILS-dev] Connection to public hotspot
Hello all,

I have only recently discovered Tails. I love the idea.

I'm not sure if this is a new feature request, or if I'm doing something
wrong.

The thing is that Tails would be great when connecting to a public hotspot.
However I've tried it at my own Fon spot, but it won't work.
A Fon spot is a privately run public hotspot (see www.fon.com). It's an open
network, but you'll have to sign in on the Fon web portal in order to get
connected to the internet.
But Tails insists on connecting through Tor, and therefore the login to the
hotspot portal won't succeed.
So I would propose that in such cases a less secure connection to the
internet is allowed until a Tor connection can be established (including a
warning of the insecure nature of this). Then, once logged in to the hotspot
portal, Tor can continue securing the connection.

Once again, thumbs up, and I'll be happy to provide bittorrent bandwith for
the good cause.

Regards,

San Bergmans