Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcoming 0.7.x

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Linux kernel shipped in upcoming 0.7.x
Hi,

CAN Consulting wrote (27 Apr 2011 14:49:30 GMT) :
> There's at least one critical bug in 2.6.38 which I can confirm on
> all devices I tested (x86 and x86_64 arch). IMO it makes 2.6.38
> unusable for the time being.

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/%2Bsource/linux/%2Bbug/760131

> The mainboard chipsets and CPU become very hot. On one device I
> tested it almost fried the WiFi chipset.

> In my opinion - I can't prove it by hard facts - 2.6.38 also has
> some serious performance regressions. Web browsing becomes almost
> impossible on older devices, as soon as more than 3 or 4 tabs are
> open. Current kernel looks more like work in progress to me than a
> stable release.

Sure, every new mainline kernel brings his bunch of new critical
issues, as well as it fixes a bunch of old critical bugs. Weighting
one side against the other is a hard task.

Anyway:

1. Current Debian's 2.6.38 does not bring us LZMA/XZ SquashFS
compression support (Debian bug #613658).
2. Installing 2.6.38 forces us to include a home-made backport of the
virtualbox-ose-guest-* 4.0.x packages, since Squeeze's 3.2.10
packages are not compatible with Linux 2.6.38. Seems like 3.2.12
may fix it, but it's unlikely to land into any official Debian
repository targeted at Squeeze unless we put special effort in
this, which I doubt.

=> I'm in favour of waiting at least for #1 to be resolved on the
Debian side. Regarding #2 I'm undecided. May be worth asking the
Debian Virtualbox Team for their plans about maintaining backports for
Squeeze.

Bye,
--
intrigeri <intrigeri@???>