Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] About bridges support

Author: anonym
To: The T(A)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] About bridges support
08/01/11 02:28, intrigeri:
> Hi,
>
> wow, I did not expect my email to trigger such fast moving things :)
>
> FWIW, an unassigned but planned (deliverable March 2011) Tor
> enhancement might give us a hand:
>
>    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1852

That's nice, but nickm responded to two of the bugs [1][2], and it seems
like there won't be anything happening there soon that will be of help
to us. I detailed a workaround in bug #2355 [3] which we might use in
the meantime:

> The only alternative workaround I can think of is to add "UseBridges 1"
> and a bogus bridge (e.g. "Bridge 127.0.0.1:12345") to torrc which will
> prevent the Tor client from connecting to the Tor network until the
> user adds a proper bridge through vidalia. This seems to work fine, but
> users might get confused when they see that strange bridge turn up in
> vidalia.

As implied, I've tested this. No leaks seem to happen with restart of
Tor so I guess it's good. Also, adding a bridge seems to make Tor
bootstrap quickly, so the bogus mirror doesn't seem to interfere.

What do you think?

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2355#comment:1
[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2356#comment:1
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2355#comment:2