Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] truecrypt-whats the alternative

Author: intrigeri
To: The T\(A\)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] truecrypt-whats the alternative
Hi,

tim smy wrote (26 Jan 2011 18:59:42 GMT) :
> "In the future, we would like to provide proper alternatives and
> stop distributing TrueCrypt. This means that you should not create
> new TrueCrypt media if you intend to stay with T(A)ILS in the long
> run"

> What are the alternatives? It would be nice to give some

It depends on what part of the TrueCrypt feature set we want to
provide alternatives for. I am not sure we want to, and can, provide
alternatives for the whole TrueCrypt feature set.

E.g.:

  - multi-platform encrypted volumes: IIRC dm-crypt / LUKS volumes are
    usable on Windows thanks to FreeOTFE; OSX?
  - hidden volumes: doable using plain dm-crypt / cryptsetup (no
    LUKS), but
    * multi-platform?
    * no proper GUI
  - other features?