[T(A)ILS-dev] wiki spam

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [T(A)ILS-dev] wiki spam
Hi,

our wiki has been the target of spam recently: links to random
commercial websites were added to wiki pages *and* to the commit
messages.

As emergency measures, I

- rewrote the Git history to delete the spammy commits
- asked the server administrators to switch the wiki from "anonymous
edit mode" to "signin edit mode", i.e. editing requires logging,
and creating an account if necessary.

I really would like to be able to switch back to anonymous edit mode.
The blogspam [0] ikiwiki plugin would probably help. I had a quick
look to the ikiwiki source code and it seems to me this plugin checks
the commit messages as well as the page text. This plugin uses the
blogspam.net [1] API, which means it would send any submitted content
to an external server. I don't think this is a problem in our case as:

- the whole wiki content is anyway public
- the web server uses mod_removeip, i.e. our ikiwiki never has the
knowledge of a contributor's IP.

Please voice your feelings thoughts, ideas, agreement and disagreement
on this if needed. In case no-one objects, I'll ask the server admins
to enable the blogspam plugin on our wiki.

[0] http://ikiwiki.info/plugins/blogspam/
[1] http://blogspam.net/

Bye,
--