[NuovoLaboratorio] Fwd: Re: [global-peace-movement] Contacts…

Author: Paola Manduca
Subject: [NuovoLaboratorio] Fwd: Re: [global-peace-movement] Contacts for US Bases Network
--============_-1151388327==_ma============

--
Paola Manduca
--============_-1151388327==_ma============

--></style><title>Fwd: Re: [global-peace-movement] Contacts for US
riseup+global-peace-movement@???<br>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:47:39 -0700 (PDT)<br>
From: Corazon Valdez Fabros <corafabros2000@???><br>
To: Herbert Docena <herbert@???>,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp; </x-tab>"Jakarta Peace Con (Work)"
<global-peace-movement@???><br>
Cc: focus-staff@???<br>
<mailto:sympa@lists.riseup.net?subject=subscribe%20global-peace-mo<span

Contacts for US Bases Network<br>
<i><b>Herbert Docena <herbert@???></b></i>
wrote:<br>
Greetings. One of the major campaign proposals launched in Jakarta was
that<br>
on US bases. Conceptualizing on this campaign is still at a very early
stage<br>
and few groups have signified their interest to join the working
group. The<br>
Asian Peace Alliance, for example, seems keen on working on an
Asian<br>
regional initiative but details still have to be worked out. A number
of<br>
European groups have also expressed interest in the proposal. We hope
to<br>
begin convening a small open working group composed of a
representative<br>
array of interested organizations from all over the world for this
project<br>
soon.<br>
To jumpstart planning for this campaign, please share with us the
contact<br>
details of all the individuals or groups that you know are working on
or are<br>
affected by US military bases around the world. There should be no
dearth of<br>
this as there are currently US bases in over 110 countries.<br>
For the first step, we are volunteering to create a list-serve for all
these<br>
groups and individuals to facilitate networking and discussions.
Sometime in<br>
the future, it would also be great to have an international meeting of
this<br>
network -- perhaps some time in October or November. Then maybe we can
have<br>
a bigger gathering during the World Social Forum.<br>
Incidentally, in the latest issue of New Left Review, Tariq Ali called
on<br>
the World Social Forum to more directly engage with the issue and
launch an<br>
international campaign against US bases during the next WSF. He argues
that<br>
neoliberalism -- which has been the traditional focus of the WSF --
cannot<br>
be divorced from the US military presence encircling the globe.<br>
Here's wishing for an auspicious start to this campaign and we hope
to<br>
receive your references. If you or someone else you know wish to be
part of<br>
the working group, pleas e don't hesitate to indicate your
interest.<br>
Best,<br>
Herbert Docena<br>
Focus on the Global South<br>
Chairperson- Nuclear Free & Independent Pacific</blockquote>
Centre</blockquote>
Islands</blockquote>
href="mailto:pcrc@connect.com.fj">pcrc@???</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
(63-2)&nbsp;931-1153&nbsp;&nbsp;CP:(63) 922-802-0677</blockquote>
href="mailto:corafabros2000@yahoo.com">corafabros2000@???</a><font
color="#4040FF">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</font> <a
href="http://www.yonip.com/"><font
temple&nbsp;where all men<br>
of the earth&nbsp;can stay peacefully"&nbsp;&nbsp;JosÈ
Marti<br>
<hr size="1"></blockquote>
<a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=10469/*http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com"
>Yahoo! SiteBuilder</a> - Free, easy-to-use web site design

software</blockquote>

Paola Manduca</div>